Alright, we've hit our first snag. Gus came over this afternoon, and we booked our tickets to Aberdeen by way of Amsterdam. As we reviewed the receipt E-mails, we realized that there had been a mix-up (probably my fault), and that our flight plan doesn't put us into Scotland until the day after we had expected to arrive. Of course, because we booked through Travelocity, the tickets are non-refundable. The question now is how to get to Scotland - or, at very least, into the United Kingdom, earlier than the connecting flight will put us there. I'll post more on this episode of consequence management as it develops.
UPDATE: Okay, so I was able to void the first set of tickets. Unfortunately, the airline may not refund my money for a couple of days. My goals was to immediately rebook the tickets on a different itinerary, but that may have to wait until Thursday morning. It's progress, at least! After all this time, I'll swim if I have to.