Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Around Aberdeen: What Is That!?

A couple of months ago - sheesh, maybe even February? - I was on my way to the post office near campus before heading to campus itself, and I happened to look down on the pavement (sidewalk) and see something I would have never expected to see in Scotland in 2013. Do you recognize it? For my younger readers, and for those who have never worked with technology, that's the magnetic "disk" portion of a 3.5" floppy disk! Not only did I use these things a lot in middle school, high school, and college/university, but when I was working in network security a few years back, I actually had the responsibility of destroying old ones. How was that accomplished? But physically breaking them out of the square plastic case, removing the metal bit in the middle, and feeding the flimsy magnetic disk into a paper shredder. Ahhh, memories... And now those memories will extend to my time in Aberdeen!

No comments:

Post a Comment