Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Songs That Remind You 6: Taylor Swift Special Edition!


Truth be told, I'm just a scoche sweet on Taylor Swift. I realize that she's crazy, and that her entire career is based on a long string of failed relationships, but she's adorable, and I enjoy a number of her songs. She's been promoting her current album, Red, since shortly before I arrived in Scotland. I've been enjoying some of the songs off of the new album, but perhaps moreso, I've been enjoying some of the parody versions even more.

For example, there's Trouble...


... which led to the viral parody involving a now-infamous goat...


... which, in turn, has gained perhaps as much notoriety as the original version, as evidenced by this audience performance before some other band's concert.


During my recent trip to Shetland, I heard Taylor's new single, 22. I have to admit, I initially misinterpreted the title of the song. I figured that she was singing about acting like she's younger than she is, but since she's only recently turned twenty-three, I guess she's actually singing about acting wild and crazy because she's young.


I think she's great, but when she sings that line, "You don't know about me, but I bet you want to", I can't help but think to myself, "Run, dude! Run for your life, get out of there, you have too much to live for!" Funnier than that, perhaps, is another parody video that I caught when a friend posted it on Facebook. I've taken to acting much younger than my age here in Aberdeen, but I can remember a time from 2007 to 2010 when this version rang uncomfortably true to my own lifestyle!


In the long run, these two songs in particular will be among the growing list of popular musical offerings that will remind me of my time in Scotland on Operation Highlander. Thanks, Taylor!

No comments:

Post a Comment