Monday, June 24, 2013

The Songs That Remind You 8 - Shetland Special Edition!

I don't have any of my CDs with me in Scotland, so on the rare occasion when I rent ("hire") a car, I have to listen to the radio. I caught a bunch of news on BBC Radio Scotland when I was in Orkney. As I mentioned a couple of days ago, during my debacle in Shetland, I found myself listening to the radio - mostly SIBC - during which time I heard a lot of new songs. Aside from Taylor Swift song I mentioned in an earlier installment, here were some of the highlights.


CN Warden poked fun at me for having enjoyed that song, but who cares? It's a good song!


I was horrified to learn that I'd enjoyed a One Direction song, even if it was a cover of the Blondie classic. (Something tells me that most of One Direction's teeny bopper fan base has no clue who Blondie are.) If you need a palate cleanser after that one, have a look at this One Direction parody.


That one has sort of gotten on my nerves since I first heard it, but it's the kind of song that could get air play for years to come, and it will remind me of Shetland.


Yes, I know. It's the Call Me Maybe chick. It's a little bit too electronic for my normal tastes, but it's a great song, with great lyrics, and we've all been there. And finally...


I'd actually heard that Katy Perry song (and seen the video) months ago, before I left the States, but from here on out my mind will associate it with a southbound drive on a stretch of road north of Lerwick, headed south toward Sumburgh Head.

Once I was back in the real world, I did some looking, and I came to the conclusion that SIBC may have just had an advance copy of the NOW That’s What I Call Music! 84 album, and was playing it on shuffle. I can't confirm it, but I think most of the stuff I heard is on that particular album. In fact, the memory of these songs makes my overall memory of the first day in Shetland tolerable, and the memory of my second day in Shetland borderline good.

No comments:

Post a Comment