Thursday, September 6, 2012

Keep Calm and Carry On: More Trouble With Credentials

I know I'm posting a lot of these KCCO items lately. To some degree, that's just sort of the time frame I find myself in at the moment.

I got an E-mail from the UK Border Agency today saying that they'd received my visa application. I'm going to say that again: I got an E-mail from the UK Border Agency today saying that they'd received my visa application. I'm supposed to leave next week. I should have the thing back by now - it was mailed in two weeks ago. This could seriously disrupt my ability to arrive at the University on time, and though I've been given leave to arrive up to two weeks late if I don't get my passport back in time, that doesn't take the $2000 in airline tickets or other disruptions into account. If, God forbid, it takes longer than two weeks into the term, I'm looking at the prospect of deferring my arrival until January. That means about three additional months of living here in the States, which constitutes some additional costs that I'd rather avoid if possible.

If I'm quite fortunate, someone at the British consulate in New York will look at my stuff, say "Wow, this stuff was mailed two weeks ago, I should get this to one of the Entry Clearance Officers with great haste!", at which point the Entry Clearance Officer will say, "Wow, this chap has all of his ducks in a row, it's all clear as day right here, I should process his visa and get his passport back to him with great haste!" That having been said, if the University's performance is any indication, I'm less than inspired by the sense of urgency exuded by my British cousins.

You know what they say: don't panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment