Friday, October 5, 2012

A Triumphant Return to Orkney

Aberdeen is brilliant, but once you've been anywhere a while, it's nice to stretch your legs and see some other sights. (Yes, I realize that I've been here for less than two weeks.) I've been anticipating my arrival in Aberdeen, and my return to the island paradise of Orkney, for eight years now, so I'm chomping at the bit. I'm going to be patient and give things a couple of weeks to settle a bit more, and then I'm going to head to Orkney.


View Larger Map

I spoke on the phone Wednesday with Orcadian Dave, who took the helm at BBC Radio Orkney when my previous contact in Orkney retired a few years back. He seemed thrilled to hear from me, and will be providing me with a bit of support while I'm in the area. At this point, it's a matter of establishing firm dates, a firm route, and booking what I need to book around. My previous contact basically took a solid day off work to take me around the islands, but I don't plan to prevail upon Dave like that, so I intend to hire a car. Of course, I'll be taking my camera and putting plenty of great pictures up over the next few months. I also don't intend for this to be my only trip to Orkney while I'm in the area - if possible, I'd also like to see Eday and North Ronaldsay if at all possible, though that could take two additional trips.

Woohoo! I'm heading back to Orkney!

2 comments:

  1. I also want to see Culloden, and Glen Strathconon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my second year of college, one of the Marines I was in the ROTC unit with wrote his term paper on the Battle of Culloden. I think he titled it "There Can Be Only One", and I'd be willing to bet cash money that our professor was oblivious to the reference from Highlander.

    ReplyDelete