Thursday, July 18, 2013

A Glaswegian Anecdote

Many people will know the name "Billy Connolly". Connolly is probably Scotland's most famous comedian. Americans will know him from his role in the last season of Head of the Class, his short-lived show Billy, and his role as Il Duce in The Boondock Saints and The Boondock Saints II: All Saints Day. Last year, while I was getting ready to come to Scotland, I stumbled upon this clip of Billy doing stand-up.

Update: Some wanker has disabled embedding on that clip. You can watch it at this link. Trust me, it's worth your time!

Billy (a Glaswegian himself) was talking about the 30 June 2007 Glasgow International Airport terrorist attack. During the attack, several airport workers and bystanders including a guy named John Smeaton set upon the attackers. Here's an interview with Smeaton from after the attack.


Glaswegians have a reputation for being pretty rough folks. When I was in Scotland in 2004, a friend of mine cautioned me not to go to Glasgow "because you'll get stabbed". I ended up going to Glasgow for just one night to meet some logistical needs, and I found the Glaswegians to be some of the friendliest and most helpful people I've ever met. I'm hoping to make a return to Glasgow before I leave Scotland. Who knows, I may run into two of my favorite Glaswegians, Billy Connolly and/or John Smeaton.

No comments:

Post a Comment