Friday, January 4, 2013

Around Aberdeen: Robert the Bruce

One of the first statues I saw upon arriving in Aberdeen is outside Marischal College, on Broad Street in the Aberdeen City Center, where there's an impressive statue of Robert the Bruce - which, like the aforementioned statue of the Gordon Highlanders, was also erected in 2011. I guess 2011 was a good year for Aberdeen and statues. It's just a hunch, but I'm guessing that Angus Macfadyen did not serve as the artistic inspiration for the statue. The famed King of Scots is riding a horse (much thinner than the horse that Marcus Aurelius is riding on his statue in the Piazza del Campidoglio outside the Capitoline Museums in Rome!), he has a sword, and he's holding up a compact of some sort. It also bears an inscription, visible in this image...


And on the topic of that lousy movie, the Robert the Bruce statue is located here, which is just a five minute walk from...


... here: the William Wallace statue that I mentioned in this post from a couple of months back. I also took a night shot from the bus a couple of months ago...


... but, as you can see, it wasn't top notch. I may try to get another night shot the next time I'm in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment