Monday, August 5, 2013

Around Aberdeen: Summer at King's College

A few months ago, I posted about King's College, and I also posted about King's College at night. Well, one of the great things about King's College is that it's beautiful all the time - for example, during the Summer. I've been dividing most of my time between Starbucks and my digs lately, but I've had a few occasions to enjoy the stunning spectacle of King's College during the Summer months. One of the other great things about seeing King's College during the long days is that you can actually get a look at it lit up under natural light - something that's impossible with the short days and comparatively low solar apogee of the Winter months.

Adjacent to King's College Chapel is the King's Lawn. One of my favorite memories of the past year is of a warm afternoon, when I took a break from studying for exams to spend a couple of hours reading one of my favorite books of all time, Starship Troopers, while sitting on the King's Lawn amongst a ton of undergrads. Right... About... here. In fact, even though the lack of foliage indicates that that satellite image was taken during the Winter or early Spring months, you can see plenty of circles of students enjoying a nice day on the King's Lawn. Unlike the Hideous Glass Cube, which is modern and hideous, the beauty of King's College and its surrounding environs is that its evergreen - it will always be beautiful. That's just one of the perks of attending a university that was founded more than five centuries ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment